[Wolves] Promoting Linux

Philip Moore ptm48 at uklinux.net
Sat Oct 2 14:45:01 BST 2004

HI

Mo Awkati wrote: I think the best place to start promoting Linux is at
schools, not to corporate giants.

I would agree but it often seems to be overlooked that Universities and
Colleges (certainly one's I am familiar with) seem wedded to Microsoft
architecture and apps - often a case of inertia on the part of the IT
services department there seems to be little motivation to adopt Open Source
software (even Open Office in its Windows port is not used) despite the cost
of licenses.

I know members of the teaching staff push for Open Source software but
seemingly with little success currently - what is the answer?

Meanwhile I have to retain Windows software in my system to interact
(essential) with the University system.

It would seem to me that one place to promote Open Source software is in
Universities and Colleges of FE as well as schools.

Philip Moore