RM 480Z memories was Re: [Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 54, Issue 13. Linux Education etc.

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sun Oct 3 15:29:09 BST 2004

Howard Berry wrote:
> a Research Machines 480Z

The first computer I used was in primary school in about 1980 (but it
may of been 1981) a 380Z that was on loan to the school from somewhere
else. They where big ugly pretty useless machines but I was hooked.

When the 480Z came out in 1982 we where one of the first primary schools
  to have one and as a member of the computer club I used to program it
in basic (I think it was MS Basic)  That was pretty much the start of
everything I do today.  I would like to think everyone in that room kept
the hacker feeling but I am pretty sure that out of the 4 or 5 of us at
that first meeting I am the only one still playing with tech in the same
way.  I wonder if the schools that waited for the BBC had the same
effect on children of my age or if it was the years after that got this
exposure.

Of course that christmas I was the envy of all geeky school boys when my
parents splashed out on a 48k spectrum.  I had everything the RM
machines (except a keyboard) in my own home and I can't say I haven't
looked back because as a retro gamer I do a lot of looking back ;-)  but
those RM machines really kickstarted everything for me and I look back
on the 480 with great fondness.

sparkes

--
t:07005 968 999 f:07005 968 888