RM 480Z memories was Re: [Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 54, Issue 13. Linux Education etc.

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Mon Oct 4 10:31:57 BST 2004

sparkes wrote:
> Howard Berry wrote:
>
>> a Research Machines 480Z
>
> The first computer I used was in primary school in about 1980 (but it
> may of been 1981) a 380Z that was on loan to the school from somewhere
> else. They where big ugly pretty useless machines but I was hooked.

I was told once (probably in jest, but I'm not sure) that the 380Z was
originally designed to be used in tanks.  Having seen one, I could well
believe it.

> When the 480Z came out in 1982 we where one of the first primary schools
>  to have one and as a member of the computer club I used to program it
> in basic (I think it was MS Basic)  That was pretty much the start of
> everything I do today.  I would like to think everyone in that room kept
> the hacker feeling but I am pretty sure that out of the 4 or 5 of us at
> that first meeting I am the only one still playing with tech in the same
> way.  I wonder if the schools that waited for the BBC had the same
> effect on children of my age or if it was the years after that got this
> exposure.

You were lucky having BASIC.  I had logo.

LOGO, FFS!

> Of course that christmas I was the envy of all geeky school boys when my
> parents splashed out on a 48k spectrum.  I had everything the RM
> machines (except a keyboard) in my own home and I can't say I haven't
> looked back because as a retro gamer I do a lot of looking back ;-)  but
> those RM machines really kickstarted everything for me and I look back
> on the 480 with great fondness.

The 480Z had the best keyboard in the entire universe.  Although TBH I
think it was the last good thing they ever did.  Their PCs now are - er
- well, crap.

48k Speccy?  Pfft, Commodore 64 was more my cup of tea.  :)

--
Dan
Gotta love them hardware sprites, 3 channel sound & raster scan