RM 480Z memories was Re: [Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 54, Issue 13. Linux Education etc.

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Oct 4 10:42:54 BST 2004

Old Dan wrote:
> sparkes wrote:
>>They where big ugly pretty useless machines but I was hooked.
>

> I was told once (probably in jest, but I'm not sure) that the 380Z was
> originally designed to be used in tanks.  Having seen one, I could well
> believe it.

Put some wheels on it and add a diesel engine, yup I can see it too ;-)

>> program it in basic (I think it was MS Basic)
>

> You were lucky having BASIC.  I had logo.
>
> LOGO, FFS!

yeah, the logo on the 480z took the turtle graphics thing to extremes I
seem to remember the picture of the turtle on the docs and the triangle
drawing the paths you described on the screen was called the turtle.

We actully had a turtle but I think that was with the 380 not the 480
but I could be mistaken on that one.

> The 480Z had the best keyboard in the entire universe.  Although TBH I
> think it was the last good thing they ever did.  Their PCs now are - er
> - well, crap.

yup, they stopped making anything useful when it all went pc (sort of
compatable) in the late 80's.  Althought those first DOS machines (the
unPC compatable ones) where nice machines, I still have a soft spot for
GEM so it could be that.

As for the 480Z keyboard, you could have driven a 380Z over it and it
would still have worked ;-)  Lots of hobbiest machines had a similar
keyboard so it could have been a common component it certainly had a
good key click on it.

> 48k Speccy?  Pfft, Commodore 64 was more my cup of tea.  :)

show off, the only good thing about the 64 was the SID chip everything
else was bloat ;-)

sparkes

--
t:07005 968 999 f:07005 968 888