[Wolves] Brumcon on Midlands Today

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Oct 4 16:49:34 BST 2004

fizzy wrote:
>  --- Kevan <kevanf1 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Yeah, yet another way a word has been corrupted.  I
>>understood it as being hackers good but crackers
>>bad.
>>Or am I totally barking :-)))
>

> The OED says to hack is to: "use a computer to gain
> unauthorized access to data" so I'll stick with their
> meaning.  Trying to change the meaning of a word seems
> pretty pointless to me... Not having a go at you, but
> ESR annoys me.

As I have said before I believe both definitions can co-exist.  Crackers
that do it just for profit aren't hackers they are generally script
kiddies with criminal minds.

Crackers who come up with new expoits are 100% hackers it would be a
rare chance that a none hacker could make *any* discovery.  Let alone
one that required thinking in a new way (as the best hackers do)

look at the history of all the sciences and you find two type the
hackers and the ploders.

ploders make discoveries slowly by thinking things through in a
predetermined fashion.  they make discoveries by applying the thinking
of a another person in more depth or to a new field.

hackers make radical leaps and change the way ploders think.

it doesn't matter what field you work you will know hackers and ploders.
  It's just that IT (plus some sciences) have a larger percentage of
hackers to ploders than usual.

the same thing exists in the arts where some people are just journeymen
and others are radical in their thinking and change the way other people
think.

If we understand the ESR meaning of hacker it's easy to apply it to a
cleaned up OED definition (removing the script kiddie element) then they
are right and as computer hackers we just apply the word differently.
Its nothing to get stressed about.

>>Kevan
>
> fizz

sparkes