[Wolves] EEprom corruption

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Oct 4 23:44:22 BST 2004

Simon Burke wrote:

> We have a machien here that has the eeprom (on the NIC) corrupt
> whenever it powers down.

Please further ellaborate here.

Is it that you need to replace the EEPROM every time you power down the
card? This sounds very unusual.

> We're just getting the nic replaced, cuz i cant be bothered really too
> much to get done.

Bring it to the Linux Expo, I'll take it apart.

> I know the eeprom is a rom that can be erased with a small electronic
> current, and that its on the nic, so im just guessing the rest.

The only problem along these lines I have encountered was while writing
to registers on a development ethernet board at work in which the magic
sequence for writing required (most hardware has a magic sequence of
accesses necessary to convince it you really want to program it) was hmm
basically non-existent so it was trivial to completely trash whatever
was on the flash. I've not seen this with EEPROM based cards.

Jon.