[Wolves] Website

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Sat Oct 9 22:59:55 BST 2004

On 9/10/2004, "Peter Oliver" <p.d.oliver at mavit.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> If you want content - what sort? techie stuff or random trivia? No doubt
>> someone will come back with the argument that it's pointless duplicating
>> stuff that's available elsewhere?
>
>If someone has a technical problem, they're not going to look at a Wolves
>LUG Wiki, they're going to use Google.  Google indexes the mailing list
>just as happily as it would index a wiki.  So, to make putting infomation
>into a wiki worthwhile, it would have to be something Wolves LUG related
>of which we require a canonical version to exist.  Do we have such
>content?  I suspect no wiki is better than a disused, out-of-date wiki.

I have to say, I completely agree. We've looked at having some kind of
site that requires maintenance before, and always rejected it on the
grounds that such maintenance just doesn't happen. As already noted, we
do *have* a wiki already (although perhaps there should be a link to it
from the main site) and therefore that can already be used if someone
wants to maintain technical content. I'd recommend that whoever wants
to do that puts together the content first and waits until they have a
decent amount before publishing it on the wiki; publishing with the
thought that lots of other people will chip in and help create might be
something of a forlorn hope, I think.

Aq.