[Wolves] User management under linux

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Tue Oct 12 12:12:21 BST 2004

Peter Oliver wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, David Goodwin wrote:
>
>> What's the difference between Kerberos and LDAP?
>

> Kerberos handles authentication, whereas LDAP provides a means of
> accessing directories (in the same sense of the word "directory" as in
> "telephone directory").
>
> Think of LDAP replacing the password file, and Kerberos replacing the
> password itself.

 From what I've seen you can put passwords into LDAP, and access LDAP
over SSL. Therefore why bother with kerberos?

Is there anything which allows you to specify policies? E.g. user X can
only login to x,y and z between 19:00 and 20:00 daily, via ssh. user X
can also access pop3 on host_abc etc etc etc.

thanks,

David.

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)