[Wolves] O/T 3G phones - 3 and the Nokia 7600

Peter Evans zen8486 at zen.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 11:04:54 BST 2004

On Wednesday 20 Oct 2004 10:40, Old Dan wrote:
> I find the idea that they're selling avery phone at a ~200 quid loss a
> bit unbelievable though.
Someone once explained to me that the money they make by tying you into the 12
month contract sufficiently compensates them for the initial loss on the
handset purchase.  Add to that the fact that some people will change their
phones to get the latest handset before their contract expires and they make
a little more on that.

But if they make so much on having someone tied to a specific contract then
surely a logical conclusion is that we, the consumer, is paying way over the
odds for call time, texts, data, etc.  This would have to be true for
whichever network/package you choose to subscribe to?

I don't think they're subsidising to the extent of £200 on every phone, but if
you want a bit of a shock try looking at the prices of the 'sim free'
handsets that are on the market at the moment. (I know it's cheaper to go for
a pay as you go and get it unlocked).

PS: Just picked up a link for a Linux based smart-phone, not read the article
yet, but the link is
'http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=911&source=HOMETOP' for anyone who's
interested.
--