[Wolves] RE: Wolves Digest, Vol 58, Issue 7 Good News for OSS

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 18:25:55 BST 2004

Interesting article, Howard.  The big problem facing OSS in education
is the fact that Microsoft 'sponsor' schools and events in schools.
Heads and others in charge of funding are seduced by seemingly
unmissable offers and special license reductions etc.  As the article
states, Microsoft fund studies and surprise, surprise these so called
studies place Microsoft firmly on top.  Quite often, those in charge
of funding simply do not know any better.  They may have heard of
Linux but to them it is still an unknown and geeky software set up.
Nothing like the nice, easy to use Microsoft Windows offerings.  We
all know different but we have the time to learn something new.
Personally I, as I assume everybody else on this list will do, push
Linux at every opportunity.  Perhaps the first steps might be small
ones.  Persuasion to use software like Open Office that will run on MS
software.  Once this is established - and major savings made of course
- the operating system itself  can be looked at.  Move over to Linux
and still use Open Office.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:54:26 +0100, h.berry at blueyonder.co.uk