[Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 51, Issue 7 and a bit (a slow response)

Howard Berry h.berry at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 17:24:03 BST 2004

sorry, I've been busy at work and lethargic at home, so I haven't kept
up with the banter.

> Who? God, Tony Blair or Other?
>
> Sorry, couldn't help it ;)
>
> Ad
Other, his only saving grace is that he does not holiday with
Berlusconi.

> Now I feel a complete nob as you knew about trimming. Super grovelling
> apologies. ;-(

"nob" is derived from "nobility" so that's OK!

> Regards
>
> Peter Cannon
>

> Prompted by Howard's last email I was wondering if there's any
> method/tool/utility available that lets me make sense of these attachments?
>
> Would save me some time when I have to respond to people telling them I can't
> read their contact details because I'm not using any MS tools.
>
> I'm hoping this is one of those "general questions that might be interesting
> to all", but if the answer comes back as two thousand lines of occam2 source
> code then I guess it won't.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Pete Evans

Woooow, what attachments?

> --
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:34:11 +0100
> From: Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Wolves] Winmail.dat
> To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>
> On Tuesday 07 Sep 2004 14:14, The wise and knowledgeable Peter Evans
> proclaimed:
>
> > Prompted by Howard's last email I was wondering if there's any
> > method/tool/utility available that lets me make sense of these attachments?
>
> I'll probably not be much help but as I started the 'general/simple questions'
> ethos I thought I would send a pointless reply just to put my money where my
> mouth is.
>
> What email client are you using? although that shouldn't make any difference.
>
> > I'm hoping this is one of those "general questions that might be
> > interesting to all", but if the answer comes back as two thousand lines of
> > occam2 source code then I guess it won't.
>
> I think we all get the hieroglyphics mails now and again the problem is at the
> senders end not yours (I hope) :-)

Doh!!

> Regards
>
> Peter Cannon
>
> peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
>

> Peter Evans wrote:

> Are you sure he wasn't composing his email using Word... and all you
> ended up reading is the backwards compatible plain text version... while
> you miss out on his wonderful formatting?
> No, no, never, honest.

> > Am I the only one that's seeing this attachment in the last mail from Howard?
>
> Nope.  It's there for me as well - Mozzie Tbird 0.5, Debian testing.
>
> It's a formatting file added by Outlook 2000(and not much else I don't
> think) to outgoing mails.  You can tell it not to - I think Howard needs
> to reconfigure his mail client... :)
OK its a fair cop. I'll come clean your honour.
I use Blueyonder's webmail when I'm at work so I don't leave any sticky
finger prints on the jam pot. It's a sort of trimmed down version of
Outlook and a bit of a pain to use to be honest.It must be some sort of
dastardly Outlook thingy that it does without being polite and asking
first.
I might just transfer my efforts to my Onetel account.
Incidentally the posting stats will note that this email comes from
XXXXiimian