[Wolves] NAT

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 13:57:30 BST 2004

> If all else fails, i need to go out and bnuy a cheap ADSL router which
> can perform NAT, again any idea??

a P4 is overkill for a router... perhaps it would be better used
elsehwere (e.g. as a file server/webserver/network monitoring station
etc (see nagios)).

A cheapy DSL router would be no good.

You need to look for a broadband router.. this will give you a WAN
ethernet port and enough LAN ports to use.

You could of course use something like ipcop (use it here, works fine
etc) or mandrake (cue Ron) has some sort of gui thing to configure the
firewall I believe.

Personally I use Slackware.... I can email you an iptables script which
I use at home.. it essentially blocks everything in apart from a couple
of ports (ssh, www, smtp, dns)

David.

e.g. broadband router :
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=2PYL&searchphrase=broadband%20router