[Wolves] NAT

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 14:03:04 BST 2004

the P4 is the onyl machine I have lying around, other than a Dell
poweredge 6450 server.

The issue is that we have a PIX501 which as a 32 IP (internal) limit,
so anything else gets dropped, however we have some 60 odd machines,
so i wanted to perform NAT to get this working correctly.

The Pix sits between us and the DSL modem, so hence I'm stuck, Oh and
the Im not allowed to remove the PIX which complicates matters.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:58:57 +0100, David Goodwin <david at openminds.co.uk> wrote:

> > If all else fails, i need to go out and bnuy a cheap ADSL router which
> > can perform NAT, again any idea??
>
> a P4 is overkill for a router... perhaps it would be better used
> elsehwere (e.g. as a file server/webserver/network monitoring station
> etc (see nagios)).
>
> A cheapy DSL router would be no good.
>
> You need to look for a broadband router.. this will give you a WAN
> ethernet port and enough LAN ports to use.
>
> You could of course use something like ipcop (use it here, works fine
> etc) or mandrake (cue Ron) has some sort of gui thing to configure the
> firewall I believe.
>
> Personally I use Slackware.... I can email you an iptables script which
> I use at home.. it essentially blocks everything in apart from a couple
> of ports (ssh, www, smtp, dns)
>
> David.
>
> e.g. broadband router :
> http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=2PYL&searchphrase=broadband%20router