[Wolves] NFS server

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 17:11:27 BST 2004

Simon Burke wrote:
> Ok, I bought myself an extra 300Gb or so of storage from the computer
> market on sunday.
>
> Quick question, I have a machine, i took out the CD-rom drive so i can
> max it out with hard-drives. All are blank though i can pre-format
> them.
> I could net-install debian etc but i have only one or two floppies.
> Is it possible to get one of the ' *nix on a floppy' things to run as
> a NFS server, if not then I've have to net install something,
>
> Thanks,
> SimonB

Why not plug the cdrom drive in to do the install, and install onto one
hard disk (e.g. /dev/hda).

Once it's up and running, swap the cdrom for one of the other hard
disks. I would imagine you want the 3 spare disks to be seperate
filesystems (perhaps /home, /pr0n and /warez ;) ? ), so when you come
around to reinstalling your distro at a later date your data isn't lost etc.

You can get pci cards which act as IDE controllers, allowing you to plug
more disks in at sometime in the future.

David.

--
David Goodwin
Open Minds High Availability Solutions