[Wolves] SCSI CD/RW

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 08:05:26 BST 2004

On Tuesday 14 Sep 2004 18:15, Adam Sweet wrote:
>  --- "Mark R. Trotman" <mark at armscroft.com> wrote:
> > I'm a bit behind with the hardware advances these
> > days but I am having a
> > problem with cdrecord and my old(?) ATAPI CD/RW
> > which used to work OK
> > under RH7 but no longer does with FC2. To save yet
> > more heart ache (and
> > ear ache from SWMBO), I thought I'd hunt down a new
> > SCSI device but what
> > to buy. Any techno junkies care to advise me?
>
> Hi Mark, I'm neither a SCSI nor a FC2 man, but I'm
> guessing that the problem is in some way related to
> the change in the way 2.6 kernels handle atapi CD
> burners. 2.4 series kernels used ide-scsi emulation
> for CD burning while the 2.6 series no longer uses
> scsi emulation. I think a few programs got broken in
> the change.

CD burning works fine for me under FC2 using cdrecord:

Old syntax:
cdrecord dev=0,0,0 <other command line options>

New syntax:
cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -tao <other command line options, same as before>

Complete example:
cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdc speed=12 -tao -data funky-linux-apps.iso

(adjust as appropriate to the location of your CD writer) If the machine has
been upgraded from an earlier version of Fedora or Red Hat (rather than fresh
installed) you may need to remove the ide-scsi option from the kernel command
line in /etc/grub.conf. Note that cdrecord now pauses for an additional 5
seconds to inform you that it has defaulted to TAO (track at once) mode
unless you specify -tao explicitly.

The CD burning front-ends supplied with FC2 should have been updated to be
able to handle the new syntax, though any third-party applications you may
have installed would probably require manual updating or reconfiguring.

James