[Wolves] NFS server

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 09:07:27 BST 2004

thanks for that, Im ust waiting for a new psu, cuz the machine i've
put it in only has a 70W PSU at the momment, but then im tempted to
get an extra disk for a couple of gig and use that for the os, as its
only duty is nfs so i should be bale to get it smaller.

As to what the storage is for, i may well play with oracle/DB2 again,
just to kill time.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:13:02 +0100, David Goodwin <david at openminds.co.uk> wrote:

> Simon Burke wrote:
> > Ok, I bought myself an extra 300Gb or so of storage from the computer
> > market on sunday.
> >
> > Quick question, I have a machine, i took out the CD-rom drive so i can
> > max it out with hard-drives. All are blank though i can pre-format
> > them.
> > I could net-install debian etc but i have only one or two floppies.
> > Is it possible to get one of the ' *nix on a floppy' things to run as
> > a NFS server, if not then I've have to net install something,
> >
> > Thanks,
> > SimonB
> >

> Why not plug the cdrom drive in to do the install, and install onto one
> hard disk (e.g. /dev/hda).
>
> Once it's up and running, swap the cdrom for one of the other hard
> disks. I would imagine you want the 3 spare disks to be seperate
> filesystems (perhaps /home, /pr0n and /warez ;) ? ), so when you come
> around to reinstalling your distro at a later date your data isn't lost etc.
>
> You can get pci cards which act as IDE controllers, allowing you to plug
> more disks in at sometime in the future.
>
> David.
>
> --
> David Goodwin
> Open Minds High Availability Solutions