[Wolves] Window$-only radio

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 01:02:22 BST 2004

Stuart Langridge wrote:

> Ha! That's me, sparkes, and Helen R outed as Archers listeners. Anyone
> else? :)
>
> Aq.

I feel a bit guilty for having started off the process that unearthed
these dark secrets. I may listen to 'Kerrang!' but not exclusively. I
listen to the R4 6:30 comedy show (except 'Just a Minute', for obvious
reasons) and Front Row but that's as much as I'm willing to admit. It
just isn't fair after all the work Debbie has put in while Adam was away..

As for the Kerrang! DJs, I like Ugly Phil and the guy with a head full
of musical trivia that follows the breakfast show. I recommend the
Sunday evening unsigned bands show too. The DJ's are so condescending
that they are funny. Would anyone be willing to collate the advice you
all gave me into a brief set of  instructions on the LUG site? Perhaps
we could persuade Kerrang to add a link next  the Windows Media Player
logo on their web site? It could be an opening for LUG Radio to get a
late night show or to give Jono his last chance of musical stardom now
he is over the hill (belated Happy B.)

Thanks for the mplayer advice Sparkes et al. I didn't even consider the
possibility that there would be a solution for Linux. I've become very
cynical about Microsoft protocols, particularly the 'open' ones. I've
recently acquired a DVD drive for my Tosh portable so my next job was to
find a player. I think I know where to start looking now, so cheers.
What is the legal status of the code? I read that M$ were willing to
license the technology but that is usually a spoiling tactic for free
software.

I'm in the process of moving from Mozilla to Firefox and Thunderbird and
came across MozPlugger a few days ago when I was trying to work out why
Real Player 8 wouldn't play back the first 'Jeremy Hardy Speaks to the
Nation' for me. I  side-stepped it by upgrading to Real Player 10 for
Linux without ever working out what it did. The link from Radio 4 tells
you how to install RP10 for Mozilla but misses out that you have to
manually copy a couple of files over to the Firefox tree too.

Out.
Woo