[Wolves] Now a Linux question

Kevan kevanf1 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 14:48:14 BST 2004

 --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Monday 27 Sep 2004 14:13, The wise and
> knowledgeable Kevan proclaimed:
>
> > OK, a serious question.  Any ideas why my Mandrake
> 10
> > installs into hde rather than hda.  All cables,
> jumper
> > switches on hard drives are correct.  It happens
> on
> > two quite separate PC's.  It's just plain strange.
> > Doesn't really matter as I run SuSE 9.1 as my
> working
> > drive/OS.
>
> What does fdisk give you?
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Peter Cannon

No idea Peter as I hadn't even thought of running it.
Both times I installed - the first abortive on my
newer PC - I let Mandrake sort itself out.  Both times
it was onto a clean dedicated drive.

I'll try it again on another drive and try running
fdisk to see what it brings up.

The strange thing si that on the newer PC it did
indeed look at the 'e' partition and ignored the
'physically' earlier drives.  It nearly ended up in
disaster as I had important files and data on that
particular drive.  On the older PC again it 'stated'
that it was installing to hd'e' but this time it was
physically the first drive on the first IDE channel.
Moat peculiar :-)

Kevan