[Wolves] SATA HD Questions

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 19:00:12 BST 2004

Hi

When I first put my computer together and installed
SUSE 9.0 I used a SATA HD, everything installed fine
at the time, the only thing it was slow, very
unexpected  as the SATA HD is the latest with 8MB
cach. Therefore I put an IDE HD which is much faster!
I am exploring possible issues with the BIOS, but
before I go about flashing it I have a couple of
questions:

1. Any idea why the SATA HD should run slow other than
the BIOS issue? Do I use them in pairs? It was
installed as the primary SATA drive SUSE detected it
ok but it used to spend some time looking for the
secondary drive as SUSE was booting up- I could tell
when I boot up in text mode.

2. Can I use it with my IDE drive, if so how do I go
about formating it as it had SUSE installed on it and
if I connect it and boot up it may conflict with the
IDE drive- I suppose I could change the BIOS settings
so that it boots from the IDE.

Thanks for your help

Mo