[Wolves] Bit Torrent is rubbish

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 13:31:21 BST 2005

On Friday 01 April 2005 13:00, Alan Pope wrote:

> > This Bit Torrent stuff is crap!!
>
> Er, no it isn't. I have downloaded masses and masses of stuff very
> easily via bit torrent.

Lucky you perhaps your one of those feeding off me?

> But how many other people are online and have that file. If that file
> isn't popular (say for example a really old distribution ISO or
> something) then nobody will have it online, and you won't be able to
> download it quickly - makes sense really.

Seeing as its RedHat ES (So its probably naughty) I don't think your comment
stands up as far as my rant is concerned.

> And that's where your plan falls to the ground. The *whole* *point* of
> peer-to-peer (and especially bit torrent is that you *share*. With bit
> torrent if you limit the upload rate it automatically limits your
> download rate. Nobody is going to send you stuff if you're not sharing
> what you've already got.

Mmmm possibly a fair point but I think your being a little naive I'm willing
to bet hard currency that they are all limiting their upload rate mine was on
'unlimited' up until yesterday the average download rate was just the same so
again you're explanation cuts no ice with me.

> Rate limiting isn't an exact science.

Fair enough you probably know more about Bollocks Torrent than I do.

> So you have 88% of a file that, say 1.4GB over a few days. What did
> you expect? The file to come down immediately? You're dependant as I
> said on other people sharing the file. Bit torrent works best for
> files that are popular - recent episodes of Dr Who, Star Trek and 24
> if the media are to be believed are very popular and thus download
> quickly.

A 600MB iso takes about 8-9 hours to download with FTP Bit Torrent has been
running since 10:30am on Tuesday morning none stop, do the math for yourself.

> It's quicker yes if you can find an ftp site with the file and that
> site isn't swamped with connections already.

Rubbish, there are umpteen mirrors out there in 16 years I've never had an FTP
connection refused due to too many connections.

> Leave it running overnight with NO limit and see what you get.

As I said that was what I was doing up until yesterday! its Friday, I'm at
work, I'll be F%&£@d if I'm comming in over the weekend to get it.

> Your loss.

Nope, my gain, I've already pulled whats left of my hair out over this
rubbish.

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.