[Wolves] Bit Torrent is rubbish

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:49:01 BST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 1:31 PM, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 01 April 2005 13:00, Alan Pope wrote:
>
> > > This Bit Torrent stuff is crap!!
> >
> > Er, no it isn't. I have downloaded masses and masses of stuff very
> > easily via bit torrent.
>
> Lucky you perhaps your one of those feeding off me?

The term is "leeching".

> Seeing as its RedHat ES (So its probably naughty) I don't think your comment
> stands up as far as my rant is concerned.

Of course it does. If you were downloading something legitimate like
Ubuntu Warty or Hoary preview you'd find bazillions of people
downloading it, so it's be quicker.

> Mmmm possibly a fair point but I think your being a little naive I'm willing
> to bet hard currency that they are all limiting their upload rate mine was on
> 'unlimited' up until yesterday the average download rate was just the same so
> again you're explanation cuts no ice with me.

Given that you're basing your rant on the download of one file, yet
I've been using bit torrent to download upwards of a terabyte of data
over the last year, I think I know who I'd believe.

> Fair enough you probably know more about Bollocks Torrent than I do.

Most likely, yes.

> A 600MB iso takes about 8-9 hours to download with FTP Bit Torrent has been
> running since 10:30am on Tuesday morning none stop, do the math for yourself.

The whole point of bit torrent is not just that selfish old *you* can
get the file quickly, but that there doesn't need to be a mass of
infrastructure in place to serve up those files (lots of rsynced FTP
servers for example). You just need a trackers, a torrent and
hopefully a bunch of other people who want the same file.

> Rubbish, there are umpteen mirrors out there in 16 years I've never had an FTP
> connection refused due to too many connections.

Well, given that in your first mail you never said what you were
downloading I could only make assumptions, furthermore I refer you to
my previous answer with regards to infrastructure and selfishness.

> > Leave it running overnight with NO limit and see what you get.
>
> As I said that was what I was doing up until yesterday! its Friday, I'm at
> work, I'll be F%&£@d if I'm comming in over the weekend to get it.

So FTP it then? What's the problem? If you want a file quickly, get it
by the fastest possible method. Nobody ever said that bit torrent was
always the fastet way to get every file, it's just ONE way. HTTP is
another, FTP is another, CD from a shop is another. YOU choose which
is most appropriate for YOUR application. If bit torrent on this
occasion isn't, fine, just don't bitch like a weenie about it because
you don't know how it works and what's the best way to use it.

> > Your loss.
>
> Nope, my gain, I've already pulled whats left of my hair out over this
> rubbish.

You have a double-whammy of loss then!

Al.