[Wolves] Bit Torrent is rubbish

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 16:24:43 BST 2005

On Friday 01 April 2005 15:59, David Goodwin wrote:

> As I understand it, BitTorrents advantages over e.g. Kazza etc are :
>
> 1) File integrity is guaranteed - in that if the author of some software
> puts a .torrent up, punters download the .torrent, which itself contains
> a checksum of the eventual file they download from where ever. If you
> download a file from Kazaa you've no idea where it came from or if it's
> the genuine article. (This assumes you trust who ever posts the .torrent!)

Kazaa is life threatening to your Windows machine its so heavily polluted with
viruses its unreal thats one reason I gave up using it.

The other reason is, as you pointed out, no end of times I spent 3 or 4 hours
downloading something that turned out to be something completely different.

> 2) The more people who download a file on BitTorrent the faster it will
> be for everyone else...

I accept that, but only as a theory and as most worldly wise people know;
'what should work in theory very rarely works in practise'.

> 3) The main clients are written in Python....
>

> 4) Although it doesn't have an inbuilt search engine, there are numerous
> third party ones (e.g. towerseek.org, tvtorrents.tv, google etc)

Ooh, is that my problem then? do I have to add some in then?

> 5) It can actually claim to have legitimate uses :)

Don't get me wrong, theres lots of legit stuff, my real gripe is;

I'm using Broadband (so that should be quick) I'm using a Torrent so that
should mean its even quicker, to be honest I was expecting to start Tuesday
come in Wednesday morning and have it finished, as of right now its at 88.7%

I took Alan's advice and re-instated the 'Unlimited' upload and immediately 35
extra connections jumped on the band waggon.

So now I'm looking at a screen that says 0KB/s DN 10KB/s Up

That means I'm getting nothing but hey we're alright Jack thanks for the
increased upload.

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.