[Wolves] Bit Torrent is rubbish

Steve Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Fri Apr 1 21:36:13 BST 2005

On 1 Apr 2005, at 14:30, Peter Cannon wrote:

> On Friday 01 April 2005 13:48, Alan Pope wrote:
>

> Theres no magic Bit Torrent fairy

there is, it's called python ;-)

>> The whole point of bit torrent is not just that selfish old *you* can
>> get the file quickly
>
> Yep I agree with you, up to a point, but if people are getting the
> file/iso
> then moving it to another directory, which kills any chance of upload
> or are
> limiting the upload rate your stuffed!

lots of clients can  be set up to automatically upload 1:1 or more and
if everyone did this bittorrent would be good enough for Mr Canon ;-)

> They're for porn, stolen software and generally shady stuff the fact
> that some
> legitimate stuff is available is irrelevant.

bittorrents for sharing large files without massive intrastructure
costs based on the fact that if it's popular lots of people with also
want it and will also peer it for a while.  It's a fantastic way for
small companies (or not for profits) to distribute files at a minimum
cost which is why it's so popular in linux circles.  pr0n and tv from
the other side of the pond is just a happy side effect ;-)

No comment about the head ;-)

sparkes