[Wolves] Local Repository

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 12:28:35 BST 2005

Hi All

Has anyone experience of setting up a local update folder with 'yum' ?

I need to do the same stunt I pull with Suse, that is download the whole
updates tree for White Box Linux, dump it in /mnt/hfgs/linux-share then use
yum to update from that folder.

I have looked at some how-to's this morning on the net, nearly all talk about
setting up an FTP or HTTP server this seems a bit OTT for what I want plus I
cant afford the dial-up costs as most have an rsync solution bolted in.

Am I right in thinking if I put;
[updates]
baseurl=file:///mnt/hfgs/linux-share

in yum.conf this will work?

With Suse its dead easy, just open yast as if you are going to do an on-line
update click on the button for custom location select the folder and hey
presto off you go, local update solution no internet involved.

Abusing company broadband again even worse now as thats two full trees I'll be
FTP'ing at work (What no Bit Torrent?) :-P

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fedora Core 3 & Suse Pro 9.2