[Wolves] Macs, Linux et al

Steve Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Fri Apr 8 17:41:46 BST 2005

On 8 Apr 2005, at 16:04, Katherine Goodwin wrote:

> Kevanf1 wrote :
>> I know that you can run Linux on a Mac using the Yellow Dog distro.
>> But, can you run FreeBSD?  What about running XP on a Mac? Is it
>> possible?  Just curious as I don't own one but I'm plain interested
>> and being as one or two people on here have Mac's :-)))
> I can't give a technical answer on this..
> You can run lots of other varieties of Linux on Macs - I run Ubuntu
> for PPC on my ibook
> I don't think you can install Windows on them, but I believe there are
> windows emulators
> you can get...

you can run loads of linux distro's (currently Linux uses a PPC
machine), and as MacOS X is built on a freeBSD base you can also run
the BSD's.  I think netBSD was the first to offer support but the big
three all run now.

You can't directly run Windows on a mac since MS has never offered this
as an option but there are a couple of techniques to get windows
software working.

The first is the best supported and is running a virtual pc in software
on your machine.  This is directed supported by MS since they now own
the virtual PC software and sell it with XP for the easy option.  A
better option for most people (since most people have more windows
licences than they could every want to use) is to use an open source
virtual machine such as Bochs or Qemu.  They are both the dogs danglies
and I use them when I am playing with my toy OS.  For my purposes they
offer exactly the same as virtual pc (which I downloaded and tried to
see if my software booted on it, no I don't have a copy now this Mac
has been ubuntu-osx-ubuntu-osx now for the last few months)  I have no
idea how well XP runs on either of them since I haven't tried but I
presume it runs like a PC about a 5th of Mhz rating of the machine you
are on, not that this is a particually accurate way of looking at
relative performance.

A new way of running software designed for windows on PPC machines
combines the virtualisation offered by qemu and bochs, and the api
replacement wine to create darwine.  The first stage is to port winelib
to darwin to make it possible to recompile well behaving windows apps
and run them on OSX the next is to combine qemu/bochs and wine so it
runs like wine under linux.  This is great news for people who need one
or two windows apps to move over to either linux or osx and use
software written for windows on a mac.

Written on a mac and emailed using Apple Mail and apples port of
postfix under OSX, ner ner ner ner neeerrrrr.

I recently switched to OSX as my desktop (it won't crash, stays cutting
edge while remaining stable (I can't bring myself to having a stable
linux desktop, it's my fault not linux's), and the colours look as
expected when I am doing web design) but I still use Linux everyday
using vnc (for when I am playing with gschem, can't get it to work
under fink, and others) and using ssh (for everything terminal apart
from quickie namelook ups and vim sessions on the mac) but it stops me
having to check web stuff on Jennies XP machine every ten mins as it's
easier to predict how it'll look on a lesser system when using OSX
which manages to keep colour correct between updates something that X
always fucks up.

sparkes (shit I'm a Mac using web designer, perhaps I should get my
yellow tinted glasses repaired so you can all take the piss properly
(in fact that's not a bad Idea, these glasses are a little wonky))