[Wolves] Linux and webcams

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 17:30:55 BST 2005

On Apr 9, 2005 2:05 PM, Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> >On Apr 9, 2005 12:24 AM, Lee Parkes <leep at bogus.net> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>Has any one got any recommendations for webcams? I'm going to have a play with
> >>this:
> >>
> >>        http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome
> >>
> >>But I need a USB webcam. Also where would be the best/cheapest place in
> >>Wolverhampton to get one?
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>        Lee
> >>
> >I don't know about W'ton but what about eBuyer?  They are prety good
> >on prices.  You could always take a look at prospective purchases in
> >somewhere like PCWorld then order from eBuyer.
> >

> I'd consider a low-cost stills camera with video as a freebie add-on.
> I've got a Digital Dreams L'Espion which Linux thinks is an Agfa. Last
> time I looked SiPix had overtaken in value for money. The L'Espion was
> about £25 in Tescos last time I saw one. Try The Gadget Shop. I think
> there's one in Wolvo. There was something that looked very similar in
> the after Christmas sale at Burtons (yes, the clothes shop) for about
> £10. A camera as a keyring is surprisingly useful though L'Espion drains
> batteries even when not in use after a few days.
> NOT Creative Labs for all the usual reasons.
>
> Look at Gphoto and Video4lin for lists of what works.
>
> Woo

I'll add to what Woo says and say beware of the Concord(e) brand that
Argos sell.  They look great and are a good price for megapixels
available.  But.... the lens quality is crap and they are not
compatible with Linux.  Yes, in the lists there are a couple of models
listed but I haven't seen them for sale and anyway....lenses....  I'm
seriously disappointed with mine.  I tend to use my digital video
camera on still mode as the quality is far better even though it's
only about 1megapixel as opposed to 4.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer