[Wolves] kubuntu & knoppmyth on a mini itx?

kev adams kev at magicmoon.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 12:25:10 BST 2005

Hi All
just wanted to let any KDE users who have been put off ubuntu because of it's
use of gnome know how impressed I've been with kubuntu.  All the advantages
of ubuntu but with the latest KDE :~)  I think Kevan mentioned it on the list
a few days ago.

http://www.kubuntu.org.uk/

I'm all the more impressed cos the system I've been testing it on is a lowly
500 MHz mini itx box & it flies along.

If only my install of knoppmyth was going so smoothly - I've built a box to
sit under the TV (sneaking another toy into the house without my girlfriend
noticing ;~) with a PVR 250 hardware MPEG2 card.  From what I've read this
should be up to the job.  Live TV viewing works now but is a bit jerky - I'm
hoping it's the setup up & not because it's underpowered.  It's also possible
that I'll need to try a PVR 350 with an encoder AND decoder in hardware
rather than just an encoder as in the case of the PVR 250.  Anyone on the
list had more luck setting up mythTV?

cheers
kev