[Wolves] kubuntu & knoppmyth on a mini itx?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 15:38:00 BST 2005

On 4/13/05, kev adams <kev at magicmoon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All
> just wanted to let any KDE users who have been put off ubuntu because of it's
> use of gnome know how impressed I've been with kubuntu.  All the advantages
> of ubuntu but with the latest KDE :~)  I think Kevan mentioned it on the list
> a few days ago.
>
> http://www.kubuntu.org.uk/
>
> I'm all the more impressed cos the system I've been testing it on is a lowly
> 500 MHz mini itx box & it flies along.
>
> If only my install of knoppmyth was going so smoothly - I've built a box to
> sit under the TV (sneaking another toy into the house without my girlfriend
> noticing ;~) with a PVR 250 hardware MPEG2 card.  From what I've read this
> should be up to the job.  Live TV viewing works now but is a bit jerky - I'm
> hoping it's the setup up & not because it's underpowered.  It's also possible
> that I'll need to try a PVR 350 with an encoder AND decoder in hardware
> rather than just an encoder as in the case of the PVR 250.  Anyone on the
> list had more luck setting up mythTV?
>
> cheers
> kev

It were indeed me, Kev.  I like Ubuntu but I just prefer to use KDE.
Gnome is great and if it was the only available desktop then so be it.
 But of them all, I have tried some of the others but cannot remember
which, I always migrate back to KDE.  Though, saying that, I am
mightily impressed by Evolution.  Does it run under KDE?

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street