[Wolves] DansGuardian/Squid/IP tables

Chris Ball chris at mnemonik.net
Fri Apr 15 14:03:23 BST 2005

Would it be a viable solution for the company I work for, to replace our soho
VPN/firewall box with a small server set up as a proxy/firewall/vpn?

I'd look at using Squid + DansGuardian (which I'd pay a licence for obviously)
and using setting IPtables for my firewall.

I'd also want to be able to see who is on what page, so do you think it
would be
possible for me to design a php script using logs from DG to resolve IP
addresses to internal and external Domains and list the results? That way I
could tell what computer is on what website (and have a good idea of anyone
being naughty).

I know it's possible, but from a security aspect is it dangerous
considering we
have ADSL?