[Wolves] Some advice please?

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 15:48:17 BST 2005

--- Peter Evans <zen8486 at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> In order to help me help myself does anyone have a
> decent resource that might
> help me find out what these warnings mean?  At the
> moment I'm assuming they
> can be safely ignored, since everything appears to
> be working ok, but I'd rather understand them
anyway.

> Apr 18 08:28:47 frodo kernel: ip6_tables: (C)
> 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
> Apr 18 08:28:47 frodo kernel: ip_tables: (C)
> 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
> Apr 18 08:28:47 frodo kernel: ip_conntrack version
> 2.1 (4095 buckets, 32760
> max) - 300 bytes per conntrack
> Apr 18 08:28:47 frodo kernel: PCI: Enabling device
> 0000:02:0f.0 (0000 -> 0002)
> Apr 18 08:28:47 frodo kernel: PCI: Enabling device
> 0000:02:0f.1 (0000 -> 0002)
> Apr 18 08:28:47 frodo kernel: agpgart: Detected an
> Intel i815 Chipset, but
> could not find the secondary device.
> Apr 18 08:28:48 frodo kernel: hda:
> task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> Apr 18 08:28:48 frodo kernel: hda:
> task_no_data_intr: error=0x04
> { DriveStatusError }
> Apr 18 08:28:48 frodo kernel: ide: failed opcode
> was: 0xef
> Apr 18 08:28:57 frodo kernel: end_request: I/O
> error, dev fd0, sector 0
> Apr 18 08:28:57 frodo kernel: end_request: I/O
> error, dev fd0, sector 0

I don't know of such a resource to be honest thought
surely one must exist somewhere. I see your point
about specific google results.

The first ones are just normal kernel output that you
would normally see at boot time.

The second batch indicate drive errors which may or
may not indicate a disk that is starting to fail.

I've seen this output before when my main hard disk
was failing and it died shortly afterwards. But I saw
it again recently for another disk. It occurred on
boot once a few weeks back and I haven't seen it
since. Hopefully it's not indicative of impending doom
as it's a 4 month old 160GB disk, but well, it's only
got Windows on it and I don't use it any more but I
was hoping to swap my disk around at some point to use
it as /home.

Maybe run a fsck on hda. man fsck explains things
pretty well. With a bit of luck it may not be bad
news.

No idea why this stuff is popping up in KDE, maybe
it's feature or a misconfiguration by default?
Annoying though. Can you turn it off in kcontrol?

Try booting with the kernel messages displayed in the
framebuffer thingy to get a good look at whats going
on at boot and have a look at /var/log/messages, dmesg
and /var/log/boot to see whats happening.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ad

PS Apologies if this comes through twice, weird Yahoo problem.

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.drinky.org.uk