[Wolves] Any Idea whats going on?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 11:00:30 BST 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 16:26, Adam Sweet wrote:

> Just because you are using it doesn't mean it's ok,
> you might not have used the bad part recently (ie
> since the email).

Told you I was being stupid :-)

> A lot of daemons email you their output if they don't
> know what else to do with it, especially if it needs
> your attention (a lot of Debian daemons do anyway).
> How recently did you get this email? Did you get more
> than one?

I seem to be getting at least one when I switch on then, I think, when certain
cron jobs start around 1.00pm ish.

> I don't know anything about smartctl so I just
> googled:

Neither do I.

> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=smartctl
>
> It turns out smartctl is part of Smarttools which is a
> set of hard disk monitoring utilities. You know like
> when you turn your PC on and it tells you that
> S.M.A.R.T is on? It just looks out for disk
> irregularities.

Yeah, I looked at the man pages before I used it which gave me the commands
and options it was the output I didn't understand.

> If I were you I'd do what it tells you and have a look
> at /var/log/messages and see if you can see any errors
> pertaining to /dev/hda

Done that, it doesn't say much more than the email does.

> If I were you I would fear for my disk and start
> making backups. Maybe do a fsck for extra peace of
> mind and see if there are any errors. If there are
> start making regular backups and look for a
> replacement drive.

Cheers for all the hard work you did in finding the links for me, you've been
listening to those malicious lies uncle Sparkes tells about me being lazy ;-)

I'm gonna do an fsck when I get a minute, mind you I'll be wiping this in June
when FC4 comes out, not long now :-)

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.