[Wolves] Two quick questions:

Stuart Langridge stuart.langridge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 13:40:41 BST 2005

On 4/28/05, Wayne Morris <wayne at machx.co.uk> wrote:
> I've redefined my problem -
> I'm working at a windows computer (which doesn't have SCP therefore )
> and I wish to grab files from a linux computer.
> So I use putty and I am now logged in as a user on the linux box and
> thus I am effectively trying to send local files TO a remote windows
> box? (the fact that
> I'm using it is irrelevant at this point).
> So would the sysntax want to be something like:
>
> scp /home/user/source/*  windowshostname:c:\destination\
>
> the destination is the bit I can't grasp, in linux it would be
> root at hostname:/path/ - how do you translate that into a windows host and
> path?
> will windows accept an scp connection like this?

Ah. You're doing it the wrong way round. scp uses ssh to connect to
the source. If you can ssh into a machine then you can scp files
*from* that machine, but if you can't ssh into a machine then you
can't get files from it.

So, what you do is not make a PuTTY connection to the linux box.
Instead, use pscp, available from the PuTTY website. On the Windows
machine, in a command window, do

pscp user at linuxbox:/home/wherever/files/* c:\destination\

and that's it.

Aq.