[Wolves] Introducing myself

Luke Redpath luke at birmingham.lastfield.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 17:08:18 BST 2005

-- Adam wrote:
> Really? Which area?

Stow Heath...near the Priestfield Metro stop.

> At least you can say that and know you've made a good
> decisions :)

Well, I had to go through Mandrake, SuSE 9.1 and 9.2 and Xandros before
I got there! In fact, I first tried Ubuntu when Hoary was still a
preview but I didn't like Gnome. I've since changed my mind and I now
love Gnome, but cannot stand KDE (don't want to start a holy war here
mind!).

> I have to wonder why, if you've been here for 3 years,
> why you didn't find us sooner. Thats not intended as a
> criticism, more a question of why people don't know we
> exist. Of course you may have only came across us by
> chance and weren't in fact looking for a LUG or
> anything similar.

Well, I've always been a fan of open-source software but it's only in
the past year that I've taken a serious interest in Linux. When I
started web development about 5 years ago, I was a Microsoft/ASP man,
and was pretty bound to Windows...I'm very glad to have shaken those
shackles off now. In fact, VBScript is just painful to look at now ;)
Like I said, came across Jono's website when doing some searching on
RubyOnRails resources...can't quite remember how I got there though.

Cheers
Luke