[Wolves] Introducing myself

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 02:09:28 BST 2005

I have a theory that most music fans start to think that 'modern music'
is rubbish sometime between about 25 and 35, probably depending more on
when trends change than their age. People always love the music of their
youth but as they get caught up in careers and family lives they stop
paying attention and take the rubbish that is fed them on TV and daytime
radio as representative of the current 'scene' so don't hear enough of
the good stuff to learn to appreciate it. Does anyone disagree?

I hardly listened to anything new for about 10 years. I completely
missed The Pixies, Nirvana,  The Gang of Four and all rap, hip-hop and
dance music. I think Greenday's Dookie probably woke me up because they
sounded like the punk/New Wave of my music-obsessed years. I almost got
trapped by comeback gigs by acts like The Pretenders and Nenah Cherry
but I found a few new bands that I liked and started to branch out. Live
music has been better in the last couple of years than I can ever
remember. I get funny looks when I buy the NME but it's worth it.

The depressing part is that the wrong bands get famous. The Futureheads
are better than The Kaiser Chiefs. The Ludes are better than Razorlight.
Black Wire are better than Maximo Park. 80s Matchbox B-Line Disaster are
so much better than The Darkness that it hurts. Bet then Linux is better
than Windows; so why am I surprised?

Woo