[Wolves] Introducing myself

Steve Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sun Aug 7 14:20:10 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>Now mix this in with the odd single I purchased
>such as a Police one and an Adam Ant one....forgive me,

You don't need forgiveness that first Ants album was a top bit of new
wave and if anyone can burn me a copy I'd be forever thankful ;-)  of
course the later pop and post-Ants stuff was pish.

The first single I bought with my own money was the boomtown rats - rat
trap, still a cool song today.  The first album I really got into was
electro 1, for me Shaun of the Dead was a trip through my early vinyl, I
would be chucking the same records at the zombies and keeping back the
same ones ;-)

I was pretty lucky as all the local lads where skinheads and mods(second
generation of each, scooter boys would probably be more desscribtive,
strange definition of lucky I know but the lads down the road where all
into elvis and rockabilly, if I had lived a quarter of a mile away it
could have been so different(strange footnote listening to hayseed dixie
while writing this so maybe it wouldn't be that different)) when I was
young and they used to tape ska and northern soul for us so I had an
early musical lesson from people who had already done the pop stuff and
grown out of it. Then  I was also lucky enough to have a mate whos dad
gave him far too much money for records and grabbed all the best hip hop
on import that saved me a fortune and allowed me to spend my money on
indie, along with a mate into rock we had the best selection of music in
our street ;-)

By the time the stourbridge thing came around we where in a pretty good
place as one of my school teachers is the dad of one of the wonderstuff
and a kid I played football with was related to a mighty lemon drop.  I
had signed records met the bands and everything, just the sort of thing
to drop in front of a young guy, show him lots of average looking guys
with free beer and girls throwing themselves at them.

I spent pretty much all of 1989-92 going to at least a gig a week,
wicked time and I saw some shite that went on to be famous (blur cost £2
to see and I resented the outlay) and some wicked bands that did
nothing.  great times.

sparkes