[Wolves] Your Feedback Please ! :) - Linux on my work laptop.

Sean Spencer sean_spencer at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 14 22:20:44 BST 2005

Hi all,

I'm currently thinking of installing Linux on my work laptop, to see exactly
how productive I could be as a sys admin (of a Windows Environment! - brave
I know).

Why on earth ??..... you may ask. Well, I spend approx 10 hours each day
(mon-fri) working mainly at my laptop. I want to futher extend my knowledge
of linux, and feel for me, that this may well be a good way for me to
accelerate my learning. Don't get me wrong; if I get really stuck, I have a
Windows desktop next to me too !

So, for the main I need to be able to do the following from the Linux
install.

1) Log onto a domain (currently STILL an NT domain, but soon to be migrated
to Active Directory)
2) Control Servers\Workstations (I know already I can do this via RDesktop)
3) E-Mail (No problems there)
4) Occasional manipulation of images
5) Occasional web development (mainly changing/updating pages)
6) Access MS SQL Server ? (i.e. is there some kind of query tool available I
can throw SQL queries at the server from the laptop?)
7) Office suite compatible with MS Office
8) Create PDF files occasionally
9) Print to network printers

That's the 'main' stuff. No doubt there is other bits, but thats the
majority.

Apart from thinking I'm crazy, any more thoughts ? :P

Sean.