[Wolves] Your Feedback Please ! :) - Linux on my work laptop.

James Rogers phb01jdr at shef.ac.uk
Sun Aug 14 23:01:58 BST 2005

Sean Spencer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently thinking of installing Linux on my work laptop, to see
> exactly how productive I could be as a sys admin (of a Windows
> Environment! - brave I know).
>
> Why on earth ??..... you may ask. Well, I spend approx 10 hours each
> day (mon-fri) working mainly at my laptop. I want to futher extend my
> knowledge of linux, and feel for me, that this may well be a good way
> for me to accelerate my learning. Don't get me wrong; if I get really
> stuck, I have a Windows desktop next to me too !
>
> So, for the main I need to be able to do the following from the Linux
> install.
>
> 1) Log onto a domain (currently STILL an NT domain, but soon to be
> migrated to Active Directory)
> 2) Control Servers\Workstations (I know already I can do this via
> RDesktop)
> 3) E-Mail (No problems there)
> 4) Occasional manipulation of images
> 5) Occasional web development (mainly changing/updating pages)
> 6) Access MS SQL Server ? (i.e. is there some kind of query tool
> available I can throw SQL queries at the server from the laptop?)
> 7) Office suite compatible with MS Office
> 8) Create PDF files occasionally
> 9) Print to network printers
>
> That's the 'main' stuff. No doubt there is other bits, but thats the
> majority.
>
> Apart from thinking I'm crazy, any more thoughts ? :P
>
> Sean.

1) Samba should allow pretty much total windows functionality, could
probably even authenticate against Windows for local login via PAM. AD
interaction should work fine although the config files look horrendous,
but there are plenty of examples on the web.
4) GIMP for non-vector formats, no recommedations for vector images
types but there are plenty about.
5) Vi
6) Can be queried via php with various layers in between
7) Openoffice is pretty good for basic stuff
8) Lots of *2pdf converters and quite a few GUI editors have an "export
to pdf" option
9) No problem via samba + CUPS

With google and a fair bit of time it should be fun

James