[Wolves] Your Feedback Please ! :) - Linux on my work laptop.

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Mon Aug 15 07:13:20 BST 2005

> 2) Control Servers\Workstations (I know already I can do this via RDesktop)

NX, VNC, rdesktop....
(There is no Linux version of pcanywhere though)

> 3) E-Mail (No problems there)

thunderbird, mutt, evolution...

> 4) Occasional manipulation of images

gimp, inkscape

> 5) Occasional web development (mainly changing/updating pages)

vi[m], gedit, bluefish

> 6) Access MS SQL Server ? (i.e. is there some kind of query tool available I
> can throw SQL queries at the server from the laptop?)

OpenOffice probably could, but you'd need to setup ODBC.

> 7) Office suite compatible with MS Office

OpenOffice / OpenOffice2
KOffice
Gnome Office (abiword, gnumeric)
You may have a problem with any Access databases you have lying around
(if any). I'm not sure if OpenOffice2's "Base" is compatible or not (not
used it yet)

> 8) Create PDF files occasionally

OpenOffice lets you export to pdf.
For anything else, "print to file" and then ps2pdf it.

> 9) Print to network printers

CUPS or lprng provide the infrastructure to allow you to do this; once
they're configured any normal program can then use the printer(s).

> Apart from thinking I'm crazy, any more thoughts ? :P

Good luck,

David.
--
David Goodwin