[Wolves] linux certification

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Wed Aug 17 06:48:46 BST 2005

David Morley wrote :
> I'm thinking of going for some linux learning official style.  Can people
> recomend sites for either descent free tutorials or sites for good all
> round entry level Linux Certification?  I see that there are many sites
> when you google but most of them are either set up for expensive business
> style week courses or are crap tutorials that don't really cover anything.
> I like the idea behind LPI but just don't have any funds at present.  I
> also like the comptia Linux+ but again no money.  I'm currently reading
> through the Linux online Tutorials
> where I am finding out things I didn't know but it mainly covers the thing
> I've picked up along the way.  So any Ideas Please?

OpenAdvantage are your best bet, as they do some sort of free training.

Failing that, there are businesses around the area (plug clockwork plug)
that do Linux training, however the cost of providing training for a
small group of people often makes it uneconomic for non-business funded
people (i.e. it's unlikely to cost less than 200 per day upwards).

I think there has been some talk of doing a lug training day (or am I
dreaming?). Perhaps it's time the moths came out of the cupboard and
something happened? I think I've said this before, but I'm relatively
sure my employer would allow us use of his facilities over a weekend
(and may even provide beer) if some sort of training is to be arranged
(and wanted) the only bad point is that it's over in Minworth (B76) which is a bit of
a trip for Wolves people.

If you just want certification, I recomment the LPI; you can undertake
hte exams in Birmingham city centre in an hour or so (they're
multichoice/fill in the blanks etc) and cost around about 50-60 quid per
exam.

thanks
David.
--