[Wolves] linux certification

Tom Mortimer-Jones tmj at tc.bham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 10:40:18 BST 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, David Morley wrote:
> I'm thinking of going for some linux learning official style.  Can people
> recomend sites for either descent free tutorials or sites for good all round
> entry level Linux Certification?  I see that there are many sites when you
> google but most of them are either set up for expensive business style week
> courses or are crap tutorials that don't really cover anything.  I like the
> idea behind LPI but just don't have any funds at present.  I also like the
> comptia Linux+ but again no money.  I'm currently reading through the Linux
> online Tutorials
> where I am finding out things I didn't know but it mainly covers the thing
> I've picked up along the way.  So any Ideas Please?

Hello David,

There is plenty of material available on the web and because of the weak
dollar taking the test now is quite good value - approx £130 for both
exams. I've just passed LPI Level 1, its a bit harder than Linux+ but it
is more widely recognised.

Leading Edge have some excellent free training material that they've
produced for their training courses and have released under the GNU Free
Documentation Licence:

http://www.ledge.co.za/software/lpinotes/

IBM have a number of tutorials for LPI Level 1:

For 101:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-lpir21-i.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-lpir22-i.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-lpir23-i.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-lpri24-i.html

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-lpic1101-i.html

For 102:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-lpir25-i.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-lpir26-i.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-lpir27-i.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-lpir28-i.html

There are some manuals produced by LinuxIT that are also covered under the
GNU Free Documentation Licence:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/savannah/files/lpi-manuals/

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information.

Tom.