[Wolves] linux certification

Katherine Goodwin kat at codepoets.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 12:40:27 BST 2005

Adam Sweet wrote :
<snip>
> > I think there has been some talk of doing a lug
> > training day (or am I
> > dreaming?). Perhaps it's time the moths came out of
> > the cupboard and
> > something happened?
>
> Yeah that was me, it was only a month back that this
> was asked before and I suggested maybe we could do
> some ourselves. You (Dave Goodwin) and Kat expressed
> an interest in helping but only Peter Cannon said he'd
> be interested in attending so I put it on the
> backburner when things got hectic around here. I still
> plan to do this at some point though, I thought it
> would be nice to either video the training itself and
> also do a vnc2swf screencapture with audio so that
> people can access it online. But perhaps just the
> training will do in the first instance.

Once I've finished working out my notice, one thing I want to do is get
a moodle site up and running (it is installed and I have started
creating content) that I can put various
training courses on.  The idea is twofold, that if I can get some help
maintaining it we can run online courses for the community, but that I can also
use it as a forum to get some people who want that bit more and are
willing to pay.

I wasn't intending to open it up as a free-for-all for registration, but
more as an on-request service, so that we can monitor the quality of the
resources, and track who is using it.  Referalls through LUG etc would
be fine.

> If we want to push this along then maybe we can get
> started. Decide who can do what, what to cover and so
> on. I spoke to Jono about this when we were both a bit
> drunk on the way to What the Hack and he said that
> this kind of thing was needed, I can't remember what
> else he said, but maybe he could help us focus on what
> he is a seeing a need for from people who get in touch
> with Open Advantage.

What we need to start with is a small community of people who are
willing to write the training materials, and review each other's
contributions.

I have some strong views from my teaching background (teaching experience,
educational theory and VLE development experience)about how training
should be done, but I always like to talk about things (and training is
slightly different again from the school and university teaching I've
done - as I discovered when I did some training courses for
OpenAdvantage) so hopefully we'd all be able to produce some good
quality learning materials.

If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll tidy up my moodle site and
create some more 'teacher' accounts for people.

My thoughts so far were mostly on the following courses:
* php for programmers
* programming for non-programmers (php or python)?)
* small vim tutorials
but obviously there's a requirement for something that covers the LPI
sylabus.

Glad to see there's interest.  I think that's another topic of
conversation for tonight.

Kat