[Wolves] Revitalising the LUG

Stuart Langridge stuart.langridge at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:37:32 BST 2005

> > I have been thinking recently about ways to re-vitalise the LUG and
> > bring some more interesting content to our meetings. I am keen to keep
> > the meetings very social and fun, but to also provide a means in which
> > we can explore different subjects and topics in more detail. This
> > could include presentations, demos and more.
[...]
> Want a plone site which people can share responsibilty for?

Yeah, that'd be well weapon, that. I don't think. :)

I have nothing really to add to my comments of November 2004 on this
self-same subject
(http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2004-November/010738.html):
"I'm unclear that we have any real need for dynamic content on the LUG
website (yes, yes, a script to update the next-meeting datewould be
good, but that doesn't reuqire Plone :)). We do, as Rob has pointed
out, already have a home for dynamic content: the wiki. If people
think that there's a lot of stuff which needs posting, I'd suggest
posting it to the wiki: I can imagine a conversation at some point in
the future which says "we have a lot of data on the wiki, but it's
confusing and not very well organised; can we install something like
Plone to organise this information?", which would likely get a much
more positive response. As it is, there isn't anything for Plone to
do."

The wiki seems like a good plan to me, especially since Rob and the
gang are now on top of the Spammer Menace. Some way of skinning it
might be a good thing, I think, but we don't need anything
as...structured as Plone or similar, I don't think. I remember the
Nuke site we had :)

I sound like I'm trying to piss on advancement here, I know, but
there's nothing worse than seeing a site that looks like it should be
full of content actually be empty...

Aq.