[Wolves] New website discussion

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 11:51:08 BST 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 10:57, Stuart Langridge wrote:

> > The join bit should say [Join our user group]
> >
> > 1. Novices might not know the word LUG
>
> Hm. I see your theory, but I cannot for the life of me imagine how you
> could have got as far as the Wolves LUG page without knowing what a
> LUG is.

The back page of Linux Format thats where I found it :)

You're making the classic mistake all techie/in the know people make, when you
know something its difficult to see things from a don't know, don't
understand perspective.

> > 2. The link should take you to a page that sets out what membership to a
> > mailing list entails and also netiquette, you can pinch my page if you
> > like it should be from there you actualy join.
> >
> > http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk/etiquette.html
>
> Nope. Subscribing ought to be easy. I agree that there should be some
> netiquette notes, but I think that they should be in the mail you get
> *after you subscribe*. What does "what membership to a mailing list
> entails" mean? As far as I'm aware "membership to a mailing list"
> entails "receiving mails in your inbox". :)

Yep it is, the way you have it set at the moment its too easy, most green
individuals are scared enough without automatic subscription to something
they know nothing about or how to use or what to expect.

> > 3. Spartan frontend is good nobody like waiting three days for a page to
> > load but it looks a little sparse I know its rough copy.
>
> Sparseness was a key point here; stripped down thing which says "this
> is where and when we're meeting". Everything else belongs on the wiki,
> I think.

Huh? I thought the site was to promote Wolves-LUG? not promote fortnightly
meetings! they are just spin off benefits that only a lucky few are able to
attend which then makes the group very secular.

True if Wolves-LUG starts having talks and demonstarions then the meetings
take on a more important role but I remember being at the standard when
another LUG was slagged off for doing whats being proposed now?

I still think its a brilliant idea and what, 3 years ago, I thought a LUG was
all about, members passing on their skills and abilities free of charge
basking in the glory of open source providing tutorials and demonstrations.

This seems a classic chicken and egg scenario, which do you do first make the
meetings better and more productive but not tell anyone about it or tell them
about it but don't do anything? the site is the focus that everything flows
from and everyone can attend any time day or night thats the important bit.

I missunderstood Jono's remit I thought the idea was to in effect conduct some
marketing to encourage membership growth and world domination given my
marketing experience I'd have thought these valid suggestions.

Oh well.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon