[Wolves] New website discussion

Stuart Langridge stuart.langridge at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:06:04 BST 2005

> > > 1. Novices might not know the word LUG
> >
> > Hm. I see your theory, but I cannot for the life of me imagine how you
> > could have got as far as the Wolves LUG page without knowing what a
> > LUG is.
>
> The back page of Linux Format thats where I found it :)
>
> You're making the classic mistake all techie/in the know people make, when you
> know something its difficult to see things from a don't know, don't
> understand perspective.

I'm a bit disappointed that you think that I haven't thought about
this. If you looked on the page about LUGs in Linux Format and managed
to spy the Wolves LUG without seeing the word LUG then I'll be
surprised. Still, even given that that is exactly what *did* happen,
the page has "WolvesLUG: the Wolverhampton Linux User Group" in the
title and "Wolverhampton Linux User Group" in the header. I am very
loath to use the phrasing "Join this Linux User Group" or similar as
the join link, because it'll take up way too much space.

> > Nope. Subscribing ought to be easy. I agree that there should be some
> > netiquette notes, but I think that they should be in the mail you get
> > *after you subscribe*. What does "what membership to a mailing list
> > entails" mean? As far as I'm aware "membership to a mailing list"
> > entails "receiving mails in your inbox". :)
>
> Yep it is, the way you have it set at the moment its too easy, most green
> individuals are scared enough without automatic subscription to something
> they know nothing about or how to use or what to expect.

Why? How can it be a bad thing to click "Join" and have it join you to
the mailing list? They've asked to join, and they've clicked "Submit".
The whole point here is that there is not a very well defined notion
of "joining the LUG".

> > > 3. Spartan frontend is good nobody like waiting three days for a page to
> > > load but it looks a little sparse I know its rough copy.
> >
> > Sparseness was a key point here; stripped down thing which says "this
> > is where and when we're meeting". Everything else belongs on the wiki,
> > I think.
>
> Huh? I thought the site was to promote Wolves-LUG? not promote fortnightly
> meetings! they are just spin off benefits that only a lucky few are able to
> attend which then makes the group very secular.

The site does. The wiki is part of the site. It is not something
separate that is hived off in a corner! What we're discussing here is
the *front page* of the site. There is no reason at all that the wiki
has to be presented as something different, or as a separate area
(that's why it doesn't say "Go to the Wiki", as well as how people
don't need to know what a wiki is). We will never, ever, ever, not
once, be a comprehensive resource for Linux problem solving, and
therefore should not present ourselves as such.

Aq.