[Wolves] New website discussion

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 13:59:38 BST 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 13:04, Stuart Langridge wrote:

> I'm a bit disappointed that you think that I haven't thought about
> this. If you looked on the page about LUGs in Linux Format and managed
> to spy the Wolves LUG without seeing the word LUG then I'll be
> surprised. Still, even given that that is exactly what *did* happen,
> the page has "WolvesLUG: the Wolverhampton Linux User Group" in the
> title and "Wolverhampton Linux User Group" in the header. I am very
> loath to use the phrasing "Join this Linux User Group" or similar as
> the join link, because it'll take up way too much space.

Groan, OK fair enough, you win.

Why does everyone take things so god dam personally its not a competition

> > > Nope. Subscribing ought to be easy. I agree that there should be some
> > > netiquette notes, but I think that they should be in the mail you get
> > > *after you subscribe*. What does "what membership to a mailing list
> > > entails" mean? As far as I'm aware "membership to a mailing list"
> > > entails "receiving mails in your inbox". :)

Speaking from my own experience I thought I was joining some sort of chat room
and how many times have we seen posts complaining at the level of mails? How
many times have we seen complaints about HTML, oh and trimming?

> Why? How can it be a bad thing to click "Join" and have it join you to
> the mailing list? They've asked to join, and they've clicked "Submit".

Careful, thats thin ice "They've asked to join, and they've clicked "Submit"

> The whole point here is that there is not a very well defined notion
> of "joining the LUG".

Now we agree on something.

> > > Sparseness was a key point here; stripped down thing which says "this
> > > is where and when we're meeting". Everything else belongs on the wiki,
> > > I think.

Semi agree although I think too much faith is being put on Wiki's plus going
back to the top of this mail, if there is lack of understanding regarding the
word LUG what chance has a novice regarding Wiki?

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

"There is every excuse for not knowing,