[Wolves] double checking before I install?

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 15:16:20 BST 2005

--- David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm about to install ubuntu on my wifes works laptop
> (that'll upset
> the bleeders) but I just want to double check
> everything before I wipe
> the drive I have written down her smtp, pop3, dialup
> number, account
> details is there anything else? she has no doc on it
> yet.

Is it used a a simple standalone dialup machine? No
Windows networking? I mean you might need to know the
machine name and Windows workgroup/domain details if
it has to connect to the employers network when on
site. Does it use a VPN to connect to the work network
from outside? Does it use a static IP address when on
the work network? Static DNS servers?

I admit I don't know what your wife does or what the
laptop is used for so I can't be much more helpful,
but...

Erm... Permission from her employer? They might not
take very kindly to this at all having shelled out for
the Windows license that is on it.

In this scenario you might want to be certain they
won't sack your wife. Hope I'm not overdramatising
here.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk