[Wolves] Revitalising the LUG

Stuart Langridge stuart.langridge at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 12:15:37 BST 2005

> > I don't see how this alters the issue. Venue isn't really the point;
> > how is it more easy to get to a community centre on a Wednesday than
> > it is to get to a curry house? The major problem with a community
> > centre is that there's no way of having something to eat, as has been
> > discussed at LUG meetings passim.
>
> See you don't read the mails do you? you just read the bits you want. It was
> pointed out that the Curry house is shut on a Saturday afternoon, a community
> centre kills two or three birds with one stone
>
> 1. Its open in the Morning, afternoon and evening
> 2. You can bring a laptop or something along
> 3. everyone is not crammed in a 30ft X 20ft space

Doesn't solve the problem that people do other stuff at weekends,
though, which is a generic problem with Friday and Saturday...

> > Ahem.
> >
> > I am getting a mite tired of these not-so-subtle inner-circle
> > accusations.
>
> And I am sick and tired of getting crap for something I have not said!!!! look
> at you're mails who said Inner Circle???? not me!!! so get the facts right.
>
> And don't try an insinuate that I hinted at that either.

"the Wednesdayites rub their hands with glee"
"the same old faces turn up to the fortnightly meet"
"Its the older members who can make the changes as they tend to set the pace"

That sounds to me like an accusation that newer, purer, more decent
members have tried to make changes but the old guard are stopping them
from making the LUG better. That's an Inner Circle accusation.

> You are an older member than me, you are suggesting change not me, therefore I
> will follow you're lead with some of my own suggestions now I'm sorry if they
> do not fit in with you're thoughts, ideas or requirements but thats what
> makes a discussion and a democracy.

Discussion is fine. I misread your earlier mail, because I didn't
realise that the paragraph about Saturdays and the paragraph about the
community centre were talking about the same thing just because they
were next to one another. What I don't understand is what new thing
you've brought to the discussion here; we have talked extensively in
the past about moving the LUG to a different night or moving it to the
weekend, and that's always been dismissed by the consensus. Possibly
you think that things have changed, that the make-up of the LUG is
different, that members' circumstances have changed and therefore a
different answer would come up; great. But at the moment it looks like
the same arguments which have come up before and been dismissed
before.

Jono's original mail was about revitalising the LUG; is moving to a
different location or a different night going to do that? Or will we
have very similar kinds of LUG meetings but with a slightly different
cast of people? Maybe that would be enough: inject some new blood,
annoy some different people because now they can't make it and
un-annoy those who can't make it right now. I'm not clear that it will
significantly change things, though; the discussion, I felt, was wider
than just "which night should the LUG be on?" and "should it be in a
curry house or not?"

Aq.