[Wolves] Revitalising the LUG

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 21:49:04 BST 2005

Peter Cannon wrote:

>On Wednesday 24 August 2005 12:13, Stuart Langridge wrote:
>

>>Doesn't solve the problem that people do other stuff at weekends,
>>though, which is a generic problem with Friday and Saturday...

If I come out on a Wednesday then I lose a couple of hours of
low-quality family time and a few hours sleep. I can't drink much
because I have to drive home. I get up at 06:45. It doesn't kill me once
a fortnight. Any other Mon-Thursday woul be OK for me but the weekend is
the only time I spend any significant amount of time at home so I
certainly wouldn't come often on a Saturday but I might for a special
occasion.

>>"the Wednesdayites rub their hands with glee"
>>"the same old faces turn up to the fortnightly meet"
>>"Its the older members who can make the changes as they tend to set the
>>pace"

I think that is because they tend to do all the work i.e. organise the
meetings. If other people want to organise an extra Friday/Saturday
meeting once a month then I won't feel hurt and I'm sure noone else
will. If the meetings have a different character then that would be a
good thing because it might be to the taste of different people. I like
hardcore hackers arguing about nothing but it might not suit (or even be
understood by) everyone. Several people have said that they would like
more formal, beginner oriented sessions. There is room for that too.
'The hacker community' works by a transfer of knowledge down through the
layers of experience - like many martial arts clubs. We're all at
different levels about different subjects but the general principle
holds true.

>I cant see how changing index.php or index.html is going to address
>participation.

I think this came out of people needing to know when/where the meeting
is before they can come to it

>Well I'm not in a position to make any changes to Wolves-LUG am I?

Yes of course you are. The LUG is a bunch of mates who meet in a curry
house. I thought we were anarchists with a common purpose, not a
democracy. Why not suggest a venue and ask if people would like to meet
there at a weekend? That isn't "splitting", it's "streaming".

>Its no skin off my nose I don't get to go to meetings anyway and I don't look
>at the website much.

But isn't that because it never changes? The Wiki can be more dynamic
and you will be able to put a link to the web site that you are creating
to prevent duplication.
I even think that a link to your business site would be acceptable in
the context of your personal page . Would anyone else object?

Woo