[Wolves] Wolves lug web page

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 12:42:32 BST 2005

--- David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a feeling that if the new web page isn't
> uploaded soon then it
> will be too late for the current meeting.  I am
> pretty sure that the
> problem is no longer with the web page but with the
> meeting itself
> judging by the comments, so here is mine why not
> stick with the
> current format of a friendly get together on a
> wednesday night where
> problems are aired and hopefully solved new systems
> etc are chatted
> about, then once a month on a friday? night have a
> tutorial evening
> where by new comers can learn how to use there
> system, programming,
> bug reporting, firewalls, antivirus, how to burn cd,
> administering
> there systems, bring in problematic systems to be
> worked on etc.  Have
> a more formal setting and meeting that way people
> can invite their
> unenlightend windows friends along so they can learn
> linux.  As well
> as the linux users learning more and becoming more
> productive in the
> linux community as a whole.

I've been meaning to chime in for some days about this
kind of thing.

Frankly I think weekends are a bad idea. People work
all week and they either want to spend the weekend,
Friday pm onwards with their family or in the pub. I'm
in the boat, I wouldn't come on a Friday as it is the
first time that me and my girlfriend get to see each
other without having to worry about getting up for
work and we an actually go somewhere.

I do think that maybe the format for currents meetings
doesn't suit everyone, particularly less experienced
linux users and also there are quite a few people that
can't make Wednesdays, however it has been shown in
the past that moving from Wednesdays loses us more
people than we gain.

I think a once a month beginners evening on a more
structured level will be great, personally I think a
Tuesday or Thursday is best, people are still getting
it together after the weekend on Mondays but it's
always an option if thats better for most people. It's
not necessary for everyone to come, it's an
alternative for those who can't make Wednesdays and
those who feel intimidated by the size and intensity
of the main meetings. It would be nice to something
away from The Standard, but I think paying for
somewhere is a bad idea, it raises the bar for people
to come, but it needs to be somewhere away from
bustling crowds (ie pubs) and where we can take
equipment and set it up. I'm not sure if yo can get
that without paying in some way, be it room hire or
paying for food.

I would be happy to show up and talk people through
stuff. We could do installs, tutorials and
presentations, but I won't be doing it on my own so
other people will need to be prepared to stand up and
talk about stuff.

This might be a great idea if we can get it together,
Thursday is my idea of the right day. If we can decide
on a place and get some numbers then we're off.

So, show of hands:

A preferred night and whether you would turn up.
Whichever night gets the most votes is the winner and
of course you are free to disagree with me.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.drinky.org.uk