[Wolves] Revitalising the LUG

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Thu Aug 25 14:37:43 BST 2005

fizzy wrote:
> --- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why not ask why some LUG members
>>'don't' attend meetings?
>>
>>To those members of the LUG who do not attend the
>>bi-weekly meeting
>>(or do so rarely) why is this?
>

> I suppose I qualify now, quite a scary thought!

yup me too

> There are a number of reasons that I don't attend lug
> meetings much any more.

I could never remember what night it was on either, and I'm also not a
curry eater.

> Apart from the venue I find that LUG meetings can be
> something of a battle at times.  There are a few very
> strong personalaties at the lug, and this can be
> intimidating for other members. Various things have
> been spoken about, moving people around and so forth,
> but nothing really came of it.

it's been spoke off many times and has led to many heated debates but I
think I have a solution, well a variation of the solutions others have
put together, read on.

> I think new people are made welcome and meetings do
> have a great atmosphere and I'd be against making it
> more formal, but I think it's something to be aware
> of....

The formality thing, the talks thing, the casual thing, we have tried
them all, let's just do our own thing ;-)

Normal meetings on a day considered convenent by most, bi-monthly,
drink, chat and food, pretty much what happens normally stay exactly as
they are, no change in format but venues and things can change as needs
change as in the past (and since I last came)

extra meeting, not aimed directly at newbies (who wants to go a meet a
bunch of newbies every month?  Jesus I used to get £20 an hour for
that!) but a more technical meeting where one person does a talk, we
discuss it and then have a question and answer (no question too stupid,
within reason that's not a challenge people) session to allow all
question of whatever technical viewpoint to get the maximum exposure to
the combined wisdom of the lug.

This way, nothing changes and everything changes at once!  double
whammy.  I could make the extra meeting each month but Wednesdays are
difficult for the foreseeable.

> fizz

sparkes